I Forge Iron

Striker 88 with 5HP VFD - supply power problem

Hey all, 

I've never had a VFD in my shop, and I've never operated a VFD anywhere before.  Yesterday I was setting up a used Striker 88 complete with Delta VFD controlling a 3phase, 5 hp motor. The power load matched what I had available in my shop, 240 50 amps.  I plugged in the hammer and the VFD powered up momentarily then shut off.  It it did not trip the breaker and now there is no power to the outlet.  The outlet was installed by a commercial electrician and I have been running my other power hammer and welder regularly from the same supply.  

I'd like to know if there is something I overlooked in operating a VFD before I call an electrician.  I have the manual for the device, but quite honestly I cannot decipher the contents.  

-Adair

I work with mostly AC Tech brand VFDs at work, and don't recognize that brand you have. But if the outlet does not have power to it that points the finger elsewhere than the drive. Try flipping the breaker off and inspecting the outlet wiring, then flipping it back on and trying again. Also double check your wiring to the VFD. 3 phase stuff is usually pretty easy but make sure the cable you have isn't shorted inside the sheathing and all connections are tight. Did you have the motor hooked up to the VFD when it tripped?

Hi there, 

Yes the motor was wired to the VFD, the hammer was running in its previous location as wired.   I just moved the hammer to my shop, plugged it in and this happened.  I've flipped the breaker and still no power to the outlet so as you stated, I guess there is something amiss between panel and outlet, though everything was fine before I plugged this VFD in. 

-A.  

What Thomas said, have a way to verify any of it? Or just the VFD no longer powers up? Only time I've seen a VFD not work like that is if it is over powered aka a 240v drive hooked to a 480v outlet or such. That definitely will let you know something is wrong though and you'd notice. "POP" and the magic smoke comes out of it.

The panel was fine, all the other 50 amp outlets were fine.  I took the outlet apart and found that the receptacle contacts had been pushed out the back end.  The receptacle came out and the contacts were hanging on their supply wires.  One lead had an arc on it so I'm very pleased to discover this.  

Thanks for your input.  I plugged the hammer into another outlet and it fired right up.  What a great little hammer!

-A.

20220628_190642.jpg

Great;  I lucked out yesterday and found the plug needed for my welder outlet at a big box store---usually about 1/2 the price of the Electrical Supply place.  I had to visit several stores and ask at each one.  I had taken a rubbing of the outlet so I could be sure to get one that fit.  Turns out the 50 amp 220 volt outlet my electrician installed was a more uncommon type.