I Forge Iron

Need help identifying an anvil

Cool acquisition.  You may want to pass on one or more of your old ones unless you plan on teaching.  

BTW, what part of the Buffalo area are you in?  My late in-laws were from Buffalo and lived near Transit and Casey after they retired.  I've spent a good bit of time in that area over the years.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

George - the plan is to teach knife making and blacksmithing and use the anvils for educational purposes! i live near the airport in depew. not familiar with that intersection you mentioned. is that in the town of amherst?

Dan, my uncle lived in Lancaster next door to Depew.  I remember Como Lake Park when we would visit him.  The intersection mentioned is in the Township of East Amherst. Casey interesects Transit about a mile south of French Rd. on the way north to Lockport.  My father-in-law had been a medieval history professor at the University of Hawaii and when they retired they moved from Honolulu back to the Buffalo area where they were originally both from.  There were various reasons for that but the two largest were that they were able to sell thier modest home in Hawaii and buy a really nice, large house in the Buffalo area with a good bit left over and they kind of had "island fever" which is the feeling of geographic restriction/clautrophobia that comes from living on a small island.  I recall my FIL telling me that after they moved back to the Mainland that it was great to go for an afternoon drive and not go past is own house 3 times.

Good luck with your teaching plans.  Once I have my shop fully set up I plan to have at least 1 more forging station for instructional purposes.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

George, thank you for sharing. It sounds like your FIL has had an incredibly interesting life! Now that you describe the place - I am very familiar with that area and drive past it frequently. Ironically the anvils that were gifted me came from a gentleman who lives in Lancaster near the intersection of William St & Aurora. Best of luck with all of your blacksmithing endeavors George! If you set up a shop for teaching - send some pics sometime if you get the chance!