I Forge Iron

Drill Clamp

First off I'd like to thank the guy that posted the idea of using these clamps - not sure where it is on the website now!

I had been thinking of getting one of these clamps for my drill press anyway but when I saw someone's tip of mounting one of these in the Hardy hole on an Anvil I thought it was time I bought one. When it arrived with some other stuff I ordered from Axminster tools I set about rummaging through my limited stock of off cuts for something to fit the Hardy hole. Nothing likely presented itself but I noticed the threaded shaft on the clamp looked suspiciously similar in size to the Pritchel hole. it's a near perfect fit, easily removed when not required but tight enough to hold firm in use - talk about luck! :)

Hope this is of help to others. As a point of interest, the clamp from Axminster has a thread diameter of 12.3mm - don't know what thread it is. My anvil is a Brooks 1 cwt.

Vic.

8023.attach

8024.attach

I think there's a blueprint somewhere for that, may be tied up in limbo with the site upgrades. I think I may have had a hand in it.;)

I would use a longer threaded rod welded on, and a washer and nut to make it adjustable to different thicknesses of stock.

Or, if you have the tools and ability, get a piece of square to fit the hardy hole, center drill it and tap for the the right thread pitch. Then the clamp would be centered on the anvil better, if needed. I may have to work on that sometime.

If you have the tools and ability, get a piece of square to fit the hardy hole, center drill it and tap for the the right thread pitch.
This was my first thought, had I had some suitable steel stock. Many years ago I did make the decision to work exclusively with Metric threads only though. :rolleyes:

Vic.

I posted pictures of my setup once upon a time. To extend the bolt I used a nut that fits and a length of threaded rod cut to size and screwed them together from each side--works fine! I use mine in the hardy hole with a short length of 3/4" pipe--washer welded on the bottom and the upper end cut on the same angle as the taper of the anvil heel bottom. With the threaded rod extending thru the washer and a large wing nut the tool is held just right. I also made several different hold down heads for round and other shapes. They really make a good hold down.