I Forge Iron

Marshall Excel regulator

Jason W

Has anyone had any experience with a Marshall Excel regulator? I'm having some challenges with mine. I bought a new forge and I'm just setting it up. The regulator has a turn knob that either increases or decreases the psi of the gas but no matter which way I turn the knob the regulator gauge hits the pin past 30psi. I've seen this forge run at 1 psi on youtube and know that 30+ is way too high. FYI it's a Mighty Forge draft pro.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Have you contacted Mighty Forge about the problem? I just went their web site and it looks like a very good forge to me. This thought just came to me are you turning the knob all the way in (clock wise)  to start? Then after opening the tank valve slowly turn the knob left (counter clock wise) to the pressure you want.

I did send them an email just before I posted this question so they haven't had time to reply to me yet. It's a great forge and I believe it will be very capable when I get this minor issue sorted out. I was hoping someone here may have some knowledge on the subject. 

Edited by Mod30
Excessive quoting

Thanks I'll give that a try and see if that fixes it. 

That didn't seem to work but when I turned the propane off then turned the knob clockwise/counter clockwise on the regulator I hear something internally clicking and the psi gauge increases and decreases so I think I might pull it apart tomorrow and see if something isn't lining up quite right. 

Edited by Mod30
Excessive quoting

I wouldn't take it apart, been there done that and didn't even get a T-shirt:) they are hard to put back together without having a leak. Every regulator on my tanks do make a little sound (crunching) when compressing the diaphragm spring.

Just turn the knob down till it stops (tight). Then open the tank valve and slowly turn the knob left watching the gauge. By taking the regulator apart would void any warranty.

On any device with something flowing through it, liquid, gas, whatever In/out is the direction of the flow into and out of the component. Propane flows OUT of the tank then INTO the regulator and OUT to the burner. Make sense?

This sort of thing is just part of the learning curve.

Frosty The Lucky.