I Forge Iron

Hadfield and Sanderson Anvil

Just got this anvil away from my cousins.  This anvil was used by my dad, grandfather, great grandfather, and great great grandfather.  It was partially painted silver and am in the process of cleaning it off and make a few things on the old girl.  It is marked Hadfield & Sanderson Sheffield Mouse Hole, with weight marks of 1 2 10 or 178 pounds.  I was hoping to be able to get an approximate date of manufacture or just whatever information I can find.  I am pretty excited about getting it - took about 3 years of talking along with making a few things (bottle openers, christmas decorations, crosses, etc) to show them it was going to be put to use.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.  Here's a  few pictures.

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

SWEET, getting to be her next custodian until the next generation is ready to keep her! Be careful stripping the paint, anything earlier than what 1970(?) or so probably contains lead. 

I hope you aren't going to do any grinding on her, she's in really good condition even the edge chipping is pretty minor. 

Frosty The Lucky.

No worries on grinding.....just a wire brush wheel and some WD40 to help me clean it up.  I appreciate both responses. Frosty, my uncle took it out of the shop at Granddad's to his house years ago.......and never used it.  He passed away and I've been after my cousins to let me have it to put it to use.....none of them have any interest in blacksmithing so I really don't know why they wanted to hold on to it.  Nevertheless, I did get and, while it will not replace my Soderfors Frosty, it will be used to make some things for the family.