I Forge Iron

Picked up this post vice, believe it is a Colombian

VandegriftIronworks

Hi everyone, picked up this new to me leg vice at yoders when I got my forge. Building a stand for it in the shop today. I believe it is a Colombian but if you know any different please let me know, also threw in a picture of my old Charles Parker (anvil Vice) No. 134 from 1925. I picked up that Vice at a yard sale for $75 last year!

43699DC4-AAD6-403E-BFD6-BB2AFC6BBA88.jpeg

854FEDBA-FA3B-425A-82A1-D88CD3D8911C.jpeg

A77CE2EC-C23D-456B-BAB3-D41A355A36E3.jpeg

5FDA0A28-E126-4011-A568-CE308CBECD15.jpeg

Could be a Columbian, or perhaps an Indian Chief.  The mounting bracket doesn't have the recessed C of a columbian or the U bolt; but mounting brackets can be interchanged between vises.  Have you checked the flat parts of the legs for a stamp?   (Columbian often stamped the back side of the stationary jaw, but iron city and indian chief stamped the flat of the leg.

How is the screw and screwbox?  I consider about 80% of a post vises value to be in the screw and screwbox condition as everything else is fairly easily worked on.

Here are some photos of the only (markings) I see on it. 

Pretty much the same as my old hay budden. The only markings on that anvil are 167 and they are on the opposite side of the anvil from the branding, near the face. Nothing on the base or around it.

48556640-E779-4654-8122-A2B25F4873DC.jpeg

5788A6B7-00DA-4986-9393-61FF4BAF8A32.jpeg

Also the screwbox is in fabulous shape, moves fast and smooth. although the leg appears to have been repaired. No biggie truthfully.

• 3 weeks later...