I Forge Iron

My new forge

natkova

Looks like the horizontal air supply pipe is sloping up towards the T. Try raising it so it slopes downwards to the T so ash, clinker and stuff doesn't catch so easily.

If that doesn't work, put the air grate so no openings are directly above where the horizontal pipe connects with the T. 

I make mine from truck exhaust pipe which is larger and smooth inside. Stuff doesn't get caught in it.

Frosty The Lucky.

6 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Well i put  air gate on it so it is not seen in pictures but it get cloged on where horizontal air pipe meet vertical one at T ..

I tought diameter might be too small but i doubt it is about that. there is even plenty space for ash to go to bottom up to ash dump where i made it.

It will be bad to ruin this all and convert it to side blast becasue i make fancy ash dump :D

Where the horizontal and vertical meet is where they usually get clogged. If the horizontal is leaning away from the vertical then the bottom edge is farther out into the vertical than the top edge so junk can catch on it.

If the horizontal is leaning towards the vertical (Blower end is higher) then the top edge is farther out in the vertical pipe and shielding the bottom lip from falling junk. 

I made the suggestion about not putting any openings in the air grate directly above the side of the vertical pipe the horizontal enters so junk doesn't fall even close to it. 

The idea is to direct ash, clinker, embers, etc. to fall past the horizontal air pipe with a centimeter or so space. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Well aded some rods that meet like X and it made it litle bit more stabilised.

Now have issue from where air blows to oriantate but i think this will be good forge.

I noticed now i have more place to heat steal like 4 inches i know i cant work on all of that at same time, but give you good courage that you did good job.

Maybe some litle finish up at ashdumper as i feel sparks goes from there even lid is not closed small gaps probably air can leak there too couple welds will fix that.

On 2/6/2022 at 11:11 PM, Frosty said:

Where the horizontal and vertical meet is where they usually get clogged. If the horizontal is leaning away from the vertical then the bottom edge is farther out into the vertical than the top edge so junk can catch on it.

If the horizontal is leaning towards the vertical (Blower end is higher) then the top edge is farther out in the vertical pipe and shielding the bottom lip from falling junk. 

I made the suggestion about not putting any openings in the air grate directly above the side of the vertical pipe the horizontal enters so junk doesn't fall even close to it. 

The idea is to direct ash, clinker, embers, etc. to fall past the horizontal air pipe with a centimeter or so space. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I noticed that i have better draft with bottom blast .
What are other advantages of bottom blast forge.
Now smoke goes up to chimney faster i think.