I Forge Iron

Bradley Upright Strap Hammer...

Finally got my 150# strap hammer running! It's already exceeded expectations insofar as being mechanically sound and control. I hope to be hammering steel before December, so fingers crossed.

It does run a smidge faster than the literature calls for, but not by enough to be of concern to me. And I need to adjust the guides, strap, and cushions (as per Mr. Nowak), but overall, it's quite solid.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! Bradley’s can run pretty fast they don’t mind and it’s something that makes them exceptional at drawing tapers. You need more space between your dies, it’s stalling on the down stroke. It will hit harder with more gap  (probably 2 inches or so) you figure out it’s quirks as you use it. They are great hammers, don’t really compare to anything else.

Thank you! I really like it so far, and have adjusted the point of impact. Honestly, however, I'm still a major Beaudry guy, haha. I really like it, though. Ran into a minor problem with it slipping into a shorter stroke, but it's only happened once...so far.