I Forge Iron

Converting Electric to Hand

John Martin

I was wondering if it would be possible to convert a electric Champion 400 blower to hand cranked. I.E. taking the electric motor off and assembling a handle to attach to the shaft. And then converting back to electric. It would save me $100 to get another hand-cranked blower. :)

Sorry if this post seems completely retarded. But I had to ask. :)

well i have a mini transmission for a go kart (toy) that you spin one shaft slow and the output spins fast...you would need something like that...you would prolly need to make a bracket that bolted on and off and then you could interchange... i think its a really hard job for anyone to do but i dunno....

John . the most logical thing to do would be find a gearbox like was taken off that blower o many decades ago when some smith in Western Wisconsin went all modern and electrified the blower. Which I'am thinking is going to cost you more that a different blower.
Finnr

put a flat pulley on it that is knurled to prevent slipping and use a 12 or 16 bicycle front wheel against it to drive it by hand. You can add this the the motor shaft and make the bicycle wheel removable this will give you a 12 or 16 to 1 ratio if the pulley is 1 inch diameter, ie: for every turn of the bicycle wheel the fan will turn 12 or 16 times. The free turning elect motor will act as a flywheel.

Edited by irnsrgn