I Forge Iron

UK Available Knife Grinders (2x72 belt grinders)? Recommendations?

MikeTheMike

I did the same, then I thought maybe asking on a forum where people had perhaps used some models in the UK, well, thought folks might share their experiences - As I prefer people's experience to that of website's sales copy ;)

If that sort of thing isn't welcome here, fair enough!  Hope I didn't cause offence with the question! I found a decent one in the end :) Really happy with it (SOooo much better than my 1x30!)

Edited by Mod30
Excessive quoting

I bought an 84 engineering one from multitoolproducts-com. They were really helpful with advice and that's part of the reason I went with them, but also they could ship & get it to me in a few days, some of the other places in UK wanted 2weeks to 6 weeks to deliver, and I kinda needed one asap to make some Christmas presents for folks!

Amazed how much it shifts metal compared to the old 1x30! really impressed, easy to change belts (old 1x30 had to unscrew the guard) with a gas ram tensioner, and has a VFD for variable speeds - Oh, and rotates between vertical and on it's side. Love it!

Edited by Mod30
Excessive quoting

Yup! I love the idea of hand tools and no need for power etc, but tbh now I've had a few goes on my shiny 2x72... I won't look back :D Though quite an investment so hoping it lasts a good few years! Should do I think, seems well built.

Looking forward to shifting steel much faster now! Just need to finish the rebuild of my gas forge (awaiting on some new ceramic wool & refractory... it's shipped but still waiting) so I can heat treat... as otherwise I think if I grind the blades too thin b4 HT, then they'll likely warp during HT (chefs)

Cheers :)

Edited by Mod30
Excessive quoting