I Forge Iron

Burning Man

Not going myself but my Chevy Suburban is already there - This will be it's fourth trip to the Playa.

My Ex is part of the Lamplighter crew so we swap rigs each year because the Suburban is way more suited to the trip than her Honda CRV.

Always look forward to the pics she brings back but not the dust that will need to be cleaned out of my truck . . .

Anyone from here going to Burning Man this year? If so I'd love to meet up and talk shop :D

I'm not but I have a friend who is. (He is not a metalworker so I doubt you'll be talking shop with him.)

You should bring a portable smithy setup with you and do live demonstrations! They like things that involve fire there.

Yeah, that playa will get all over, in, under, around your vehicle.. You'll be cleaning that for a while I bet :)

Moya, my friend and I have had a lot of discussions about bringing down a portable smithy. It still might happen, but it won't be this year. I had a lot of things come up right at the last minute, and wasn't sure I'd be able to go. As it is I'm having to scale my trip back. Bringing less (my car instead of my 14' box sitting on an old diesel f350 custom...) and staying for a shorter amount of time. Last year I didn't get to go, since it was too close to the birth of my first son.

I think a coal forge would be given a bit of a stink eye by people, but you could run it at night with out issue I bet. More power to ya if ya have a source of metallurgical coke, wish I did.. A propane forge would probably be the best bet.

Solvarr, the honey and bees would probably be frowned upon out there. While lots would enjoy eating the honey, most would probably think it would be too easy for it to drip all over the playa, making a huge mess someone would have to clean up :P You could blacksmith naked, but it might get a little HOT :P I bet you could get some GREAT trades worked out too for some smithy work..

I have never managed to get out there, and this year will be no exception.

Keep an eye peeled for David Best. I just heard him talking on NPR about Burning Man, and learned he will be building this years Burning Man Temple. I met him back in the seventies when we had adjoining shops. He's not a blacksmith, but has an extensive background in foundry work; a most interesting person to talk to.

Back when I first met him, he was famous for casting crazy mummified animal sculptures from road kills we collected for him. I guess you really had to have a morbid sense of humor to truly enjoy his work.

Have a great time

David Best has done some truly amazing work. I haven't met him, but have thoroughly enjoyed the Temples I've seen him put together. I thought I had heard that he was taking a year off though. Who knows. Things change a lot when the playa is involved. I bet he was a fun guy to have a shop next to!

You're right, wife says he said he isn't doing it this year. I don't listen well anymore.

Interesting, to say the least, spending time around Best and his circle of artists. This was the period where he was doing some crazy automobile sculptures and drove a classic old Citro