I Forge Iron

Insboard vs kaowool

I have successfully used folded kaowool for my flat top forges. As per the design suggested on another site, I draped the kaowool over stainless steel rods and hung the rods from the top of the forge. This has worked very well for small forges. I have used them extensively and they last for years.  I have to make a larger forge with a 16" x 25" flat top, which will be placed on top of firebricks so the interior volume will be 11" x 20"

I have some insboard . It would be somewhat easier to lay the board inside a flat  top frame rather than install the folded blanket. Not that much easier but does make for a simpler design. 

I have  never really understood the tradeoffs between wool and board. Could someone please explain this to me. I understand cost is a significant difference. Are there any other factors to be considers.

Thanks

As long as the insulation value is the same, I don’t think it makes much difference. 

One thing you might consider if you have the wool already would be to cut pieces for the ceiling and rigidize them before installation  You could even cast your hard refractory onto it and then install the whole ceiling as a unit.