I Forge Iron

Just got a Champion 400

JW513

Always wanted one and I don’t like my electric blowers. This came up on marketplace 5 mins from my shop for $150. Works great and is quiet. I didn’t have the right oil but I sprayed some wd40 in it, I’ll get something better soon.

D9702DE6-903B-463A-82EE-5D34D4EE8962.jpeg

F91BCCA4-BA05-4CC4-BED3-53F4757A62C0.jpeg

If it works great and is quiet you did good. I have one that is quieter and a few that are gravely due to the bearings being pitted, (figure I'll restore them some day".

Keep it lubed. Get some grease to the bearings behind the end caps too to keep it nice. 

Looks like a new wood handle will help it out. Imagine how many cranks that thing has been through. 

At $150 and working, I'd say you got a bargain. One of the best gear oils I've found is chainsaw bar oil with a little STP mixed in but any motor oil will do. Just be careful not to use too much oil because they will leak like a sieve, just enough for the lower gear teeth to run in and it will distribute the oil to the other gears.