I Forge Iron

Pins and things like pins.

Baldurknives

Im a newb teaching myself forging and knife making. Ive noticed some people using what looks like a locking screw. Usually has an allen wrench head. I just have no idead what they are called. Also besides the multitude of material for pins, the unknowable screw things and rivets. Is there anything else used as a pin and what the heck are those screw pins. 

I have heard them called binding screws or rivet screws. Most hardware stores sell them, at least here in the states they do. 

Different things for pins? Experiment. Use steel, brass, copper, plastic whatever you fancy. Stainless steel tube for lanyard eye or filled with epoxy and colored pieces makes nice mosaics. A pin is but a straight piece going through the handle to provide mechanical connection. Material can be any shape, size, color or material, (providing it is strong enough) that you desire. 

Since you are also new, welcome aboard. I highly suggest you go to the general discussion section and then to the "READ THIS FIRST" post and read it. Lots of helpful tips on navigating the site and how to stay off the mods radar. Fill out the header, let us know where you are from. Just a general location is fine. May be surprised how many of us live close to you and would be willing to help you out on your journey into blades and bladesmithing. Also there are smiths here from over 150 countires. If i knew you were in the states i would tell you to call the local Ace hardware, mine carries those screws. Anyway again, welcome aboard stay safe and keep it fun. 

These are slightly different than the bolts you mentioned, but corby bolts are also commonly used in knife handles. Often after installing the head is cut/ground flat so it appears to be a solid pin. 

Advert removed