I Forge Iron

Brownell's fly press Very Unique USA Made around 1910

Fatfudd

I won an auction last weekend and purchased a somewhat unique fly press. It isn't terribly large, sort of in the #3 size, but has some characteristics that I have never seen before. The press is in remarkably good condition for its age and the very poor condition in which it was housed.  It was made by Brownell Machinery Co. -from Providence RI. Since there is really no info about the company except for a couple of news articles on the vintage machinery website I can't find anything else.

First; it has a very different type of screw pattern, it has a bidirectional screw which permits the top and bottom of the screw to double the thrust of the ram. Look at my pictures to see what I mean. The top of the ram is 2" and the bottom is 1 1/2"  This little press can really put some umph in a squeeze.

Second; the ram to base height is approx. 7 1/2" and the base to guide is 6" which is really large for such a small press. 

I'm hoping that someone may have run across this type of press and could help add some info about this type of press and this manufacturer. 

DSCN5697.JPG

DSCN5693.JPG

DSCN5694.JPG

DSCN5699.JPG

DSCN5694.JPG

• 4 weeks later...