I Forge Iron

Best dremel bit for improving a hardy hole on a new anvil?

So, I have acquired a one of a kind anvil. It's factory fresh and the hardy hole has not been dressed yet. I have tried filing it but I am not a 100% satisfied with the appearance of the chamfer (rounded off slightly in the corners). I saw that some suggested using a dremel to do this job. I am guessing a carbide bit would be the most suited for the job. Which dremel bit shape should I use. I have only seen round or conical dremel bits. Wondering how this can actually work properly. 

Btw I only wanna chamfer the square hole this way. 

Mr. J.,

Check out the Dremel on-line catalogues for tools and accessories. There many types of both featured and for sale.

I use stones for abrading and chamfering. I will sometimes change to cutters if I want a very smooth surface. (probably not necessary for your proposed use). The carbide ones are expensive.

The cylinder stone shape is my regular go to accessory for such purposes.

I have been using Dremel rotary tools for years and they have served me in good stead. 

I recently, also, acquired a Foredom for wood sculpting. I'll let all you'se  know how it works out.

Regards,

SLAG.

Hoorah We survived Christmas!    Hope you did too!

We're looking forward to 2021, it has got to be better than 2020.

Hey Slag, thank you for your great reply and have a great Christmas/New year too! 

The price is not that much the problem, I'd rather be satisfied with the end-result. If carbide is better I will get that type of a bit. So conical is the type I need?  

I also have a big compressor. Nearly the industrial type basically. I think I might get into wood sculpting at some point too. I already love chainsaw sculptures. I've got stupid expensive tool to sharpen my chains but in the end I have never found anything better and more precise than a file. 

Do you have per chance any experience with band files? I saw the air run ones are pretty affordable as well. 

Mr. J.ny.

Thank you for the compliment. Flattery will get you far.

For dressing the hardy hole of your new anvil, I would look into buying a cylinder stone with a flat end or a domed end. (by end I mean the end farthest from from the tool.)

Those stones last much longer than any cutter, (high speed steel or carbide).  Yes I have all kinds of Dremel cutters and stones. But I save the carbide ones for difficult jobs, the stones work just fine.

You can get the stones in different grits. Start out with a coarse one and when the majority of the grinding is done,  switch to a medium or fine grit. Or medium to fine grits.

Wood carving is a different subject. A chain saw is great for large carvings. After slicing off a lot of the large wood blocks or log sections, I suggest that you look into the coarse rotary cutters. Like "kutzall" abrasive accessories or circlet rotary cutting tools like the "Lancelot" (King Arthur's Tools), etc.

Check out the catalogues, from 

Woodcraft,

Lee Valley tools,

Rockler tools

etc., etc.

For ideas.

They will give you ideas.

Then you can search in European sellers,  and manufacturer catalogues.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

SLAG.

I note that you are somewhere in Europe. Europe is a largish continent,  probably bigger than the fine state of Missouri?,   maybe Texas,  even. 

So where are you?