I Forge Iron

English Anvil Maker ID

I got a new anvil today to replace my heel-less Wilkinson. It's a 175-ish lb English one. It's in excellent shape by my standards, and I got it for $200. Ring and rebound are good. The face still has some factory crown at the front, and is pretty much dead flat across the rest. It does seem like a bit of an oddball in terms of the maker and how it was forged however. 

001.thumb.JPG.e22f3c4295d4b5b1a30706fb28e3f3ea.JPG

Edges and face are good, with nice large round edges tapering back towards the heel:

003.thumb.JPG.b0ae6f4864c5c2d2343e05bd582f29e3.JPG

Here's the first odd thing. It has a small crack/delamination on the bottom of the horn. If this were a brand new anvil I would be a bit concerned, but considering how long this thing has been around without breaking I'm not really worried about it. Also, the ring is very clear, so I don't think the delamination goes very far into the anvil.

008.thumb.JPG.b33e3dcba0083a3464971f9d80bca378.JPG

However, I can't really figure out what the maker is. To me it looks like it's stamped "KR  LAURRIGG" on one line and then "*something* WORKS" (IRONWORKS, maybe?). There are no stampings on the other side of the anvil. Anyways, I could not find anything about this manufacturer, so if anyone happens to know anything about it, I'd love to hear.

010.thumb.JPG.1197684721acad9be518a946d5c9e042.JPG

011.thumb.JPG.8891f7a07367398759e497f78f3e4a9d.JPG

In any case, it seems like it will be a good anvil and I think I got a pretty good deal on it.

Looks pretty nice from where I'm sitting, and a killer deal to boot. The stamped weight 1-2-5 translates to 173# starting weight, give or take a bit. I never heard of the mfg, but there were a lot of them around in the 19th century. I wouldn't be concerned about the delam.I'm wondering if the pritchel hole is original (punched) or added later (drilled). Anyway, use it in good health.

Steve

I got it on a stand and used it for the first time today. It seems very nice.

I've looked everywhere I can think of for information on this mfg., but I have not found anything. I guess it's possible it was just a very small manufacturer, but then it seems somewhat unlikely that it would have been imported to the US to be sold. 

I was going to check AIA, but it is not available in the ILL system in my area. Could someone with a copy of AIA please take a quick look to see if there is any mention of Laurrigg anvils? 

Thank you