I Forge Iron

"New" Anvil

Hey Everyone,

So, here's a picture of my "new" 1909 Fisher & Norris 200 lbs anvil. I found it yesterday at an antique mall. The guy wanted $279, and I talked him down to $200. I figure that a buck a pound at an antique mall is pretty good. It seems to be in over all good condition. However, you can see that the horn is pretty scarred up, and the edges of the face have some chips missing. I'm wondering if I can have it resurfaced somehow, as opposed to just grinding it down and loosing more material. Where would I go for that, and what process would I ask for?

Best,
-L

7548.attach

7549.attach

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! If it were mine I'd have a hammer on it this evening when I got home! Repairing an anvil is a serious undertaking and costly if you have to hire the welding done. Then there is the task of retempering the face. If you do a search on here you will find a blueprint on how to go about repairing one. Do a google search on 'anvil repair' and look at Robb Gunther's procedure for repairs. With these 2 procedures you will have a better idea of what all it takes.

Now may I direct you to the little green bar at the top of the page...click on 'User CP' and update your profile giving your location; city,state is plenty. Shoot, there just might be someone right up the street from you firing up his/her forge as we speak! :) Good luck and once again, welcome.

I'm with Thomas, I'd just put it to work.

Just make sure the chips on the edges are completely detached for safety's sake. You already have a nice radiused edge so if there are no undetached chips I'd leave the edge alone till I knew the craft better.

If you must, use a flap sander or sanding disk on the horn but only if the cuts have standing ridges. (like a file) Even then I'd tap them down with a hammer rather than grind or sand. Same for the mushrooming on the tip.

I'd be pleased as punch to find a Fisher in that condition for double or triple what you paid but I live in AK. not smithing tool central.

Frosty

Guys, thanks so much for the advice. I've been hammering on the anvil for two days now and think that I'll just wire brush and oil it as Finnr suggested. I'm real glad to hear that this anvil was a good find, considering how new I am to all of this.

-L