I Forge Iron

Tiffany Fire Hood

I'm not sure whether this should be under General Blacksmithing or Metal Sculpture or somewhere else.

I came across this article about a fireplace hood from the home of Louis Comfort Tiffany which includes Japanese sword tsubas as design elements.  It is described in the museum's press release as "cast" iron but I do not believe that.  I think someone who didn't know better assumed that if it is made out of iron that it is "cast iron."  I have emailed the museum with my thoughts.

I'd also like to know who actually fabricated the hood to L.C. Tiffany's design.  I don't think that black smithing was one of his many skills.  Also, I don't know of anything else he designed in iron since I know him as a bronze and precious metals person.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/59036#comments

Thanks for the tip George, that is one heck of an article. I agree that is wrought iron NOT cast. I'll add my comment when I finish the article and looking at more images online. I'm sure Mr Tiffany knew people even if he didn't normally work in iron.  I'm thinking it's supposed to look like leather, I wonder what it looked like with firelight dancing in the panes.  What a wonderful piece. 

Uh sculpture, blacksmithing? OHHH YES!

Frosty The Lucky.