I Forge Iron

Buckskinner

I made this small figure for a friend that heads up a group of fellows that do historical re-enactments for a local festival.  It was also an experiment using steel wool in my work.  Welding it on was frustrating (8-)) so I used glue and unfortunately the hair, beard and mustache all fell off.  Never experiment with a gift.  

1107181142b_resize_22~2.jpg

Very cool, I LIKE it. What kind of glue did you use?  Epoxy seems to stick to anything clean. 

Maybe try bonding it by tinning the face with silver solder and just sticking the steel wool into the solder while it's still hot.

At first I was thinking of welding it to the still hot face by grounding the figurine and connecting the steel wool to the positive post of a 9v battery with a jumper wire. You'll need to keep the steel wool in a tight bundle or it'll melt and burn as in the old Boy Scout fire starter trick.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you.  I used Gorilla glue, but just a spot to avoid the yellow blob that always seems to materialize after it starts to dry.  I suspect it might not have been clean enough as you suggest.  I like the idea of tinning it, that never occured to me.  I may try JB Weld as well, it may blend in nicely.   My friend said just a few strands came off at first, then it all went.  Happens to us all, I guess.:)

You're welcome, different eyes on a problem is all. Was it the foaming Gorilla glue? I've had some pretty marginal luck with it for some things I thought would be a sure thing. Epoxy always works . . . almost.

Yes it does but it really disturbed me when I started seeing steel wool on the shower floor. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Maybe good for gluing the tongue in a rabid dog figurine?  I bought some for a project last spring and ended up using epoxy instead. I still have the rest of the bottle but haven't found anything I like it for. Now I'm going to have to think of something. Maybe a moose nugget sculpture? 

Man I gotta tell you this hiding out in the woods has me thinking of some strange projects. Still . . . hmmmm.

Frosty The Lucky. 

I think I would pay cash money to see a moose nugget sculpture.  Never seen one of those.....

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

Man I gotta tell you this hiding out in the woods has me thinking of some strange projects. Still . . . hmmmm

This is when inspirational things happen.  

Scott

An old tradition when I moved here was to paint moose nuggets gold and make jewelry, swizzle sticks. olive skewers, etc. for the tourist trade. Maybe it's been long enough for a return? :ph34r:

I'll have to come up with something worth . . . OOOH OOOH! I think I'll foamy/glue up a moose nugget . . . GORILLA!:lol:

Wearing a CROWN! The moose nugget Coronarilla! 

Lots of piles of moose poop, guess I'll take a little bucket out for a walk tonight.

Maybe I should send you a pair of ear rings? I'll bet you'd be the talk of the town with a couple big gold nugget ear rings. Hmmm?

Frosty The Lucky. 

Glue some up in the shape of a moose.  Picture or it didn't happen.....  Perhaps we can swap nuggets.  I have Holstien.  

I would probably look funny wearing those earings around but I would do it just for you.  In case anybody asks, do you take orders these days?

A moose moose moose?  I can see that. Oh yeah there'll be pictures or I didn't do it. Swap nuggets? Moose nuggets sound like pitter pat when they fall and I can imagine Holstien sounds like SWAP.  I'll have to get back on that one. 

Uhhhh, now I'm conflicted. Do I send a joke gift to a friend and risk having to drop my hobbyist status or perhaps get in on the ground floor of an old timey art revival movement?  

Wait a second, take orders? Heck, I hardly took orders when they paid me to. That's a tough one Scott. I'll have to see how collecting nuggets goes. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

I can relax? Whew, I was going nuts reading LegalZoom to learn how to incorporate and lock you in as the head distributor for the lower 48. 

I've heard my fair share of bovine evacuation sound effects. If you pronounce the A in swap like the A in FLAP I think you'll recognize where I got the association. As kids we used to throw dry pies like frisbees though not to play catch, for the distance. 

Speaking of your pasture resources in line with this thread you have me wondering what would happen if you mixed dry flop with foaming Gorilla Glue. You'd have Marketable Meadow Muffins! Boy, talk about stick to your ribs!

Frosty The Lucky. 

You mean theres $$ involved?  How much does a Head Distributor rake in on such a scheme?  I'll PM you.

Pies are too fragile.  We used to throw dirt clods for distance, and sometimes at each other. 

15 hours ago, Frosty said:

Marketable Meadow Muffins! 

Made with 100% Natural Ingredients!  Gettem While Their Hot!!!