I Forge Iron

New to the forum!

Hey all, I'm brand new here!  My name is Rick, hailing from Beaver Crossing, NE.  I've been fiddling around with smithing for a couple of years, now.  I got into it, because the boys in my Trail Life troop wanted to do the Blacksmithing Trail Badge, and I said, "What the heck!"  I built my first forge out of a bar sink, lining it with fire brick and home made refractory.  I used an air mattress pump with an inline butterfly valve as an air source, and I was hooked.  I have since purchased a proper bench coal forge, and built a side hood for it.  (I still use the air mattress pump, boy is it noisy!)  I haven't done very much with the hobby yet, but that is about to change.  My wife and I purchased an acreage in rural Nebraska back in November.  Included on the poperty was a large, 3 stall commodity shed (or something, I'm not really sure it's original purpose).  My wife has recently gotten into THAT TV show, and has decided that I can buy a propane forge and build myself a beam hammer.  Sooo, I figured I better start taking this seriously!  I'm excited to mine you all for all of your knowledge, and looking forward to getting to know you.

I will add a post into the shop design thread to see what you guys have to think!

Welcome Rick.  Glad to have you here.  Great bunch of guys'n gals.  "Centuries" worth of knowledge contained within the membership of this forum.  Some of these folks have been pounding hot steel for longer than many on the forum have been alive.    Some of us are as old as those knowledgeable folks and as new to the venture as you.  So dive in and ask questions.  Keep it clean.  Keep it non-political.  Do that and the moderator-gods will treat you kindly.  :lol:

Welcome aboard... If you have done any reading here, you probably have seen the we love pictures posts. That's true we do just be sure to resize them because large pictures are bandwidth/data hogs and we have members world wide some who have to rely on dial up internet and/or pay extra for data.