I Forge Iron

Archie's Little Red Forge

I didn't get any pictures of the pot before I fired up, but I took a few pictures of it running:

Picture011.jpg

Picture012.jpg

To start it I balled up some newspaper pages (one ball in front of each tuyere) and then poured in charcoal around them. Then I lit them and let the blower rip! :D I didn't have to bother with 5 minutes of puffing a little pool toy, in 10 seconds all the coals were hot. I got a bit nervous when the clouds of sparks come out at the beginning, so I stuck the metal pan over the top to keep them from flying everywhere. The wonderful thing is, all I had to do was plug it in and unplug it a few times (to let the coals settle down, and not go flying) no busywork, only plug, unplug and pound hot metal, welding heat in 2 minutes! 8)

Edit: insert the BBCode and the images will work in the forum.

Nice! I have one of those blowers too -- they put out about 1000CFM at a relatively low pressure. It is a Dayton or a very, very good clone, and if you keep it oiled it will outlast your kids. :) You can buy replacement parts for it from Grainger if necessary, and a new motor can be fitted pretty readily. I got mine from a scrapped fume hood, and used it to dry our carpets when we had them cleaned recently... worked a treat! :)

None of those gloves are on my hands, alas! I took the picture yesterday when a few friends came over, and I showed them how to light the fire, where to stick the steel in the pot, and how to pound metal. They went home satisfied, and with big pitted pointy nails, which I had let them pound on. :D The reason they were ALL in gloves was because I was nervous that one of them would smash themselves with a hammer, or pick up the steel by the hot end or something crazy, so I made them all wear gloves and glasses (I only do glasses and ears).