I Forge Iron

Can anyone help me date my Forge?

Tedd Miller

So I went and picked up a Buffalo Forge, and the left side of the casting is very rough. It is a Hammelman’s Patent, but the date is almost illegible. At first I thought it said 1890, but Hammelman did not have a patent submitted that year. I’d like to see if I can find out how old my Forge is.

He did submit a portable Forge in 1882, that my Forge is very similar too. If anyone can help shed someone could shed some light on this that’d be awesome. I’ve attached a couple of photos. 

D14FC004-F581-43ED-BD44-18C2189DF613.jpeg

020B5974-9337-478C-9395-FEEBB05E62CD.jpeg

Welcome aboard Tedd, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. 

That's a pretty nice looking forge, does it work? I can't tell you much if anything about it's birth date other than a patent date only sets a limit as to how old it can be officially. If someone comes up with a piece of equipment or tool that predates the patent you're holding a prototype and it's probably worth well more than average. 

Do you currently practice the craft, how long and what do you like making? Have pictures? We LOVE pictures.  :wub:

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, 

I’ve been interested in blacksmithing since I was a teenager. But never had/took the time to get into it. I’ve slowed down and got a job that now allows me time to practice my hobbies. It’s a slow start, but I’m happy to finally be going down this road.

The Forge appeared to be in almost perfect functioning, needs a good cleaning and some oil. I’ve currently got it all apart and am getting rid of the Years of dirt grime etc.

My current skill level would be less than amateur haha. Thanks. 

DARN I was hoping for something unique and exciting, maybe even adventurous for a back story but oh NOOOO<_< same O same O.  I was a bachelor till I was 45 so I could ignore the "gitterdone" list ad play with fire and hammers on my time off. Been a hobbyist the whole time with minor lapses into paying projects. 

Just getting started eh, been there done that too, we all have. Stick around, we LOVE helping folk get and support their addiction to beating, bending, twisting, etc. hot steel into submission. It's too much fun to be legal most places. :D

Frosty The Lucky.

8 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Along with a layer of clay to keep the cast iron pan from cracking. Aluminum foil won't do it.:)

That was when I put it in the shop. It had been used as a planter on a front porch, thankfully there is only a small amount of the pan missing, around the blower. 

What type of clay? My only concern is that moisture getting between the clay and the iron.