I Forge Iron

Parts washers

freebird914

I don't have room for a parts washer, I have 2 neighbors that have them so I use theres. both of them use a commrcial solvent that a company comes around and removes the old and puts in a new batch every once in a while. Diesel or Kerosene works well also if this service is not available.

Even commercial solvent is very flammable and the fumes generated by evaporation from ANY SOLVENT are highly flammable.

Gasoline, paint thinners and such are also used by some as a parts cleaner, but they leave a film behind that has a tendency to BREAK THE OIL FILM necessary for lubrication and usually insure premature bearing failure.

I use D-Limonene, which is a citrus oil based solvent. Will cut most anything, not hazardous to handle and not readily flammable. It will burn if started on a cloth but doesn't flash. I bought some at the local chemical solvent company in a 55 gal drum.

However, I do have one caution to share. I had been using and replenishing my tank for a number of months and during that time, I washed a variety of parts, some of which had traces of other solvents. One day, I noticed that the paint inside the tank was peeling, but I continued to use the solvent. Later that evening, I noticed a bad chemical burn on my hands that took several weeks to heal and you can still see faint scars. Something had reacted with the other materials and caused a toxic brew. Of course, I probably could never recreate the precise mix but it's worth changing the solution every so often - which is another good reason to use a chemical service company that does it for a living. Something to consider... :wink:

I don't have a parts washer either. When I DO need to clean something up ( or to remove drilling/cutting fluid from a part ), I use brake parts cleaner ( aerosol can). Tri-sodium Phosphate ( TSP ) works very well too. It has been sold for wallpaper remover and wall prep for painting for many years. You do need to read the box and mix accordingly and wear what they say to wear when you handle it. This stuff is also in car wash soap. It will also neutralize acid. I don't have a bunch of need for parts cleaner. I buy brake parts cleaner for couple bucks a can on sale at NAPA or wherever else has it on sale. Handy stuff. READ THE CAN ! It works well to prep new metal ( taking the film off ) prior to painting.

Take one surplus steel GI ammo can with gasket (or similar container), insert grubby parts, cover with kerosene, diesel or non-flammable liquid of choice. Bungee securely in back of pickup. Drive to work for a week or so. Repeat as needed. Potholes, curves, grades, gravel roads and RR crossings improve efficiency. Works great on tractor parts, blower gears, etc.