I Forge Iron

Foundry Trip Hammer

The Kinney family looks to be a very busy bunch!

What a great collection!
It reminds me of the next demo I'm doing at Antique Powerland in Brooks Or.

It's their annual steam-up and working amongst all those old steam breathers is just the best.

At 8am and noon every steam whistle in the place goes off - love that sound!

I agree, a steam whistle or whistles sound good, a friend of mine has several that he uses compressed air with, they don't sound the same, so I helped him fabricate a mister to put in line where the air blows thru the water before it gets to the whistle, boy what a difference it makes, he has one set of old train steam whistles, and when he occasionally blows them, people in his small town used to run down to the train station to get a glimpse of the steamer they though was making an appearance. the first coupla times I guess it was mass confusion with all the vehicles trying to get to the station at once.

That Star 50 pounder is identical to mine, except I just finished converting mine to an electric motor. Interesting thing about them, and I speak from inexperience here, is that they seem to be set up for left handers due to the angle of the anvil. I'll have to look at some other hammers now to see what their angle is.

I believe if you think about it, a person uses their right foot mostly on the operating rod at the bottom so the offset is about right for that. You don't want to stand at the side of a mechanical hammer in case something breaks, that is the HAZARD ZONE, and most smiths are used to holding stuff in their off (left) tong hand.

people in his small town used to run down to the train station to get a glimpse of the steamer they though was making an appearance

Now that's funny!
Did he finally get a visit from the local constable asking that he quit putting the town in a tizzy?

I looked at a couple of pictures of some little giants and they appear to have the opposite angle.
Also just curious but, how use their tong hand when using a power hammer versus their hammer hand. I have been at a couple of workshops and used some different power hammers and it seems I am feeding the power hammer with my dominant (right) hammer hand, not my tong hand. That could be a function of how the hammers are set up though not my handedness.