I Forge Iron

Hessian "Jaeger" knife

ValentineForge

I recently finished this blade for a gentleman that does revolutionary war reenacting. It is a hand forged blade from 1095.  (Quenched and tempered).  10" blade and 3/16" finished thickness. Just over a 4" hidden tang.  I slotted the tang and welded in a 1/4" carriage bolt for the thread.  The gaurd and pommel are solid brass.  The gaurd was cut and ground from 3/16" x 3" brass. Annealed about 20 times as I slowly hammered it to shape and all hand filed and hand sanded the shell.  The pommel is 1-1/2" hexagonal brass bar stock that I ground to 1-1/4" so I knew it was square. Drilled and tapped to thread on. 45° angles on the end and 16° angles on the handle side and hand sanded to final shape.  All the brass was buffed to a nice golden mirror shine.  The handle was made from a 1-1/2" square block of birdseye maple.  Ground to size, shaped with files, and hand sanded to 400 grit. Topped off with 3 coats of danish tongue oil and hand buffed.  I vinager etched the blade for about 18 hours and cleaned it up before final assembly. Everything was epoxy'd as I went. Right down to the final turn of the pommel.  Its feels good in the hand and is quite well balanced. Feedback is welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

20200131_112437.jpg

20200131_112449.jpg

20200131_112424.jpg

20200131_112408.jpg

20200131_112552.jpg

20200131_112605.jpg

Very nice work. The only critique I have is in three very small details: 

1. The handle and the pommel don't line up; you can see in the last two pictures especially how they're out of line by a good 1/8". That really throws off the lines.
  2. The handle where it meets the pommel appears to be rounded under slightly. This wouldn't be a problem in itself, but it opens the door to:
  3. There's a line of epoxy visible where the handle and the pommel meet. That's disconcerting on a period piece and looks a bit sloppy.

The real problem is that the level of fit and finish for the rest of the knife is so good (especially the S-guard and shell) that those three things really stand out. 

Otherwise, very nice indeed. 

2 hours ago, JHCC said:

1. There's a line of epoxy visible where the handle and the pommel meet. That's disconcerting on a period piece and looks a bit sloppy.

There really is no visible epoxy there. I'm guessing it's some kind of optical illusion in the picture. But I do agree that the pommel is a bit out of sorts with the handle.  I dry fit the thing about 200 times before final assembly but when I glued it up the pommel just didn't line up exactly.  It either over tightened or under tightened by a half turn.  It should have been a 1/16" reveal the entire way around. Not none at the bottom and 1/8" at the top. I'm not entirely sure what happened...  but thanks for the feedback!!

14 minutes ago, ValentineForge said:

There really is no visible epoxy there. I'm guessing it's some kind of optical illusion in the picture.

Happy to take your word for it!

14 minutes ago, ValentineForge said:

thanks for the feedback!!

You're welcome!