I Forge Iron

How to use Diatomaceous earth as a rigidizer

Hello fellow smiths.

I am relatively new to forging and have built my own.  I was not sure if I really need a rigidizer for the ceramic insulation.  I saw a blurb about diatomaceous earth.  I have about 10 pounds of food grade as a supplement but then I found out that the supply I was sent could possibly contain high levels of lead. So I'm no longer taking, obviously. 

***So on to the question.   How do I make a rigidizer out of DE, please.

Currently bake curing the high temperature paint and preparing for the insulation. 

20200125_094625.thumb.jpg.15979c0e2940003268607012e7e2dd39.jpg

Welcome aboard, I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum.  READ THIS FIRST

As far as needing rigidizer it depends upon what ceramic insulation you used. I'm not sure DE will work, never heard of it being used for that. If the DE contains high levels of lead, I wouldn't use it in a hot forge, lead fumes are a health hazard to ones well being. The video of your forge running shows some problems with the burner. I'll let the folks who have designed and built burners for decades weigh in on that.

Thank you Irondragon.  

I have the vent closed down to have a flame to create lower heat rather than a jet.  The paint requires 200°, 400°, 600°, etc. to cure it with cool down time in between.

Thank you for the insight on the lead. I did not think of the vapor issues.

After further research about DE... a majority of the DE has lead... so it is good for killing bugs.                              Not for cleaning out humans or in a forge.  emojis are not allowed.  So :)

Attachment is what I could find...

I will post a new burner video once I figure out the best rigidizer to use with y'alls help.   Probably should give a warning about DE as an alternative. 1509094570_Screenshot_20200126-191132_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.c3b1f1b3d7a7d070946211bbc914fd1c.jpg

Thank you all in advance for all of your assistance. 

Michael 

Thank you.  It was the best I could find.

2600° in the length that I wanted for future projects. Also was planning on 2 layers of 1". When the inner layer degrades, I will change it out.

Logistically the outer layer will last longer.

Here's a question.... Should I rigidize the outer and inner layer too?

I humbly await your tutelage.  :)

If I didn't say it before, I'll say it now.  I  appreciate all the help.