I Forge Iron

Is it a Bradford and kendall ??

Hi all.

This being my first post, please be gentle :)

I bought the pictured anvil as a Bradford and Kendall 314lb from a yard sale in Ipswich QLD. Which is about 2 hours drive inland from Brisbane.

Went there to buy an old dining table.

After looking through some old post on the BK anvils I am thinking mine is not as the only markings are the weight stamps and it has no lugs.

What do you guys think?

It is a great anvil either way and the rebound is around 75% with a nice quiet ring.

IMG_0508[1].JPG

IMG_0507[1].JPG

A very good looking anvil, although I don't think it's a B&K due to not having the mounting lugs like the Fisher anvils. Here is another thread on the B&K although the pictures were lost in a forum upgrade it is still a lot of interesting info on them.

As far as a Peter Wright, I don't see the tell tale ledge across both feet, but could be one made by someone who worked for PW and struck off on their own. Still a very good anvil.

Here is a thread with pictures of the B&K. I found 7 threads using Google and adding iforgeiron.com to the search term.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/41521-someone-got-a-bargain/

Zozon.

Just a few chisel marks. There are a few punch marks as well.

Toowoomba the town I got the anvil from used to have a big railway workshop. The anvil may have come from there. Or any number of railway workshops in western QLD. 

All I know is that there is a world of difference forging on it compared to forging on my lighter anvil you can see in the back ground. The extra mass really dose make a difference.

52 minutes ago, Goundry Forge said:

I like chisel marks,  every time a blacksmith makes a chisel, an ax or any other tool he hits the base of anvil  with it ... if it makes a mark  it's tempered well. 

Chisel marks means that anvil has been used by professionals, every new owner should be proud of chisel marks!