I Forge Iron

red-and black finish?

Hello.
I was recently at Penland School of Craft, and all of their railings are made by blacksmiths who have taught there. They also all have the same kind of finish. It's slick and waxy looking and is patchy red and black. I really really like it, but when I asked, they just said it was "goop". so how might it have been done? partial russet-finish? some fancy combo of oils? I really want to know because I really like it.
Thanks eversomuch!
be merry,
Archie

Hello.
I was recently at Penland School of Craft, and all of their railings are made by blacksmiths who have taught there. They also all have the same kind of finish. It's slick and waxy looking and is patchy red and black. I really really like it, but when I asked, they just said it was "goop". so how might it have been done? partial russet-finish? some fancy combo of oils? I really want to know because I really like it.
Thanks eversomuch!
be merry,
Archie

Archie,
did you happen to take any photos of the finish? A close up or two would be helpful.

The black may be fire scale, which resists rust. Wherever the scale breaks off, or cracks, rust will form. Leave the piece outside for a month, then clear coat with whatever. Here's a tripod plant stand I made, you can see that it's pretty black, with some rust where the ring was forge-welded. I left it out for a few days in steamy central PA, and then linseed oiled it.

7342.attach

I have troubles not getting that problem. Seems like everything I make that isn't painted starts to rust under the wax coat and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong since it only happens on projects made at the home forge..... Problem is that the rust keeps spreading on my stuff..... Not to hijack but anyone know a way to combat it?

I got a finish not to unlike that one time, what I did was wire brush the piece then spray with a acid in a spray bottle. The acid rapidly rusted the piece, I every 24 hours would hand wire brush the piece then spray more acid on it. After about a week I had a beautifull multi colored rusted piece, at this point I go one of two directions, if the piece is small I put it in boiling water which will turn the orange rust black then clearcoat. or if I want the orange in it I rinse very well with water and let it dry and clearcoat.
I use permalac for my clearcoat.
Chris

• 2 weeks later...