I Forge Iron

Speaking of anvils

3 80# pieces minus the kerfs.   When I was hunting a big anvil I learned to call ahead and ask auctioneers "how many people it took to lift it?"  A lot of the LARGE ANVILS were 1 person lifters, some were 2  person lifters and when they just laughed and said they used a forklift/tractor/FWL/other powered lifters I said "I'll be there!"   Never did buy any large anvils that way though; too many $$$; so I developed the TPAAAT and got a couple 400+ pound anvils cheap.

8 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

3 80# pieces minus the kerfs.  

That's kinda what I was thinkin'.   I was wondering what would happen if I took 2 twelve inch pieces on edge, welded together,  and welded my 3/4" x 4" x 12" to them as a face. I could come up with about 110 pounds of nice flat steel, to beat on.  But welding all that together, the power bill would probably break me. ;)

Your sweet spot would be pretty small and it would be quite noisy.  I might go with all 3 pieces on edge and stagger the middle one so you can weld a cross piece on one end  where the gap was for a 3/4" hardy hole and make a bit of a horn on the other end where it stuck out a bit.

However; it's your stuff and you can dowhat you think would work best for you!

13 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I might go with all 3 pieces on edge and stagger the middle one so you can weld a cross piece on one end  where the gap was for a 3/4" hardy hole and make a bit of a horn on the other end where it stuck out a bit.

That sounds like a good idea.