I Forge Iron

Looking for father-son bonding gift (power hammer)

hi my name's Lev and i am 14 years old and my dad and I love to blacksmith. but since my father is handicapped he has a hard time hammering the metal and my aim isn't quite developed yet so i cant help him (just ask my fingers).

So now i'm looking for a power hammer that is pretty small, such as a "little giant" or whatever else that works. We live in Virginia in Heathsville and were accepting a wide range of prices starting from $1000 but not over $5000.

Hey babahkabum
Great deal working with your Father. Let us know where you are. go into your user cp and fill in some more blanks. There are bound to be a few smiths nearby that can offer help/advice/training/etc.

Howdy Lev,
It's a great thing working with your dad on creative projects. My son helps me in the shop and it's some of the best times we have, outside of fishing.. A couple of things came to mind after reading your intro. Don't be frustrated at your current hammer control, just strive to get better and appreciate your time invested as you do. A day spent at a hammer-in might benefit both of you with techniques and ideas for your situation. Have you or your dad ever run a power hammer before? If not, I would strongly recommend finding someone with a hammer, and asking if you could see what it does. It took me a long time to feel confident running a hammer, and a while longer to start making things that didn't look like squished blobs of snot. Hammers can be very dangerous, even fatal. If the work is not hot enough, or not flat with the bottom die, it can teeter-totter out of your hands in one blow, and cause bad things to happen. Virginia has a wonderful blacksmith guild, go to some meetings , ask questions, and make sure of what you need.

• 2 months later...

Hello Lev, I think it's great that you found forging at such a young age. I started at 16 and now at 30 I'm able to forge full time. I also sell Anyang power hammers. The hammer I would recommend is the 33' Anyang. It's single phase, user friendly, and perfect for people just learning to forge. I have a 33' 88' and a 165 in my shop. I use the 33' almost everyday. The hammer can forge everything from 1 1/4 sq bar to paper thin copper.
You can view my work at James Johnson Metalsmith
If you have any questions about the hammer or just want to talk about forging, feel free
to call or email me. Hope this helps you.
cell (940) 627-4529
Email james@johnsonmetalsmithing.com

Jerry,
I don't know of anyone in your area that owns an Anyang, but luckily I'm only 5 hours away. You could drive in early in the morning and be forging by noon. Your more than welcome to stay as long as you need to. I will supply propane, steel, and tools. You will be able to try out a 33' 88' and a 165'. If you didn't want to drive back that same day there are plenty of affordable motels near my shop. If you have the time after forging all day I would like to take you to dinner and talk shop. One of the great things about selling Anyang hammers is meeting and establishing relationships with people that are passionate about forging.
You can view some of work my at James Johnson Metalsmith Email me at james@johnsonmetalsmithing.com