I Forge Iron

Compressor Tank Questions

IgnrntNewb

On 12/6/2019 at 2:04 PM, IgnrntNewb said:

Anybody see anything right off the bat that I missed or could do different/better?

The rule of thumb for these burners is that the mixing tube length should be approximately 8 to 9 times the inside diameter.  For a 1/2 inch burner that takes your mixing tube down to about 4.5 inches, give or take a little.  It appears to me that your mixing tubes are quite a bit longer.  The effect of a long mixing tube is more friction which slows down the fuel/air mixture.  It can result in a more stable flame, but usually at the expense of maximum temperature that can be reached. 

It's also tough to get 2 DIY burners tuned exactly the same and have exactly the same volume and pressure of gas delivered to each of them using only the regulator.  If you put a needle valve in each leg going to the individual burners you can make fine adjustments to help match them up better.

FWIW, I used a single 1/2 Frosty T burner in forge with a volume a little less than 250 cubic inches and was able to reach forge welding heat easily.  I used the 3/4 x 3/4 x 1 inch T, a 4.5 inch pipe nipple and a .023 mig tip. Hope that helps.

Thank you for the tip, Buzzkill. You're correct. My mixing tubes are 6" long. I'll be getting some 4" tubes today and playing with the flame again.

Two weeks ago, I tried using some stainless steel pipe coupler instead of the 1/2" to 1" bell reducers. I don't know if it was due to the long mixing tubes or what, but the flame didn't like the pipe coupler setup at all. One of the burners absolutely refused to stay lit. I will try the the couplers again with the shorter pipe and see how it does.

Thanks again for the tip!