I Forge Iron

Gas Burner questions.

rcs7

I'm trying to adjust a burner I'm building and was wanting to know if a green-blue cone is ok? The outer flame is blue with little to no orange in it. I'm not sure if you guy tell by the pitcure attached.

Russell

7243.attach

Go to Ron Reil's site, he has some good burner info and he has a picture of a burner running rich, lean, and ideal and it shows the colors of the cones.
Too tired/lazy to find it and put up a link but a search of hi name should bring it right up, or there is a link on ABANA's web site to Ron's, it's a little tough to navigate on his site but it is packed full of good burner info,

welder19

Yep, it's from Jay. I thought I would keep trying to change the color of the cone before I get it set in the forge. I need to get the lining in the forge and decide what i'm going do for the doors then I'm ready to go. I've been using oxy/acet set up to heat things up with. I also want to a coal set up going too but one thing at time.

I picked up one of his 3 burner oval forge kits aways back.
Just put the double lining in this afternoon and fired all three burners for a short amount of time. Did it take much to tune yours?

At 10psi it starts to roar :cool: and idles nice around 3psi.
Am planning to add the ITC coating next week.
If only I could find some john deere green high temp paint it'd look great. :)

My dad and I built a coal forge out of stone in 1997 and have been wanting to use gas for awhile now. It should be great for doing multiples of the same item and for long pieces.
Am going to save the coal for big stuff and forge welding.
If I were going to build one again, I'd make it all out of metal. That way it could be moved if the need ever arises.
Allen

Edited by Grundsau

Not really, though I do plan to tweak it a little more if I can. I want a steel coal forge if possible, but it's probably going to be a little while before I get to it. I'll be working on the liner during the week next week.

Russell

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Russell, how did you make out with the burners and liner?

I got the ITC-100 applied about seven days ago and used the forge for a few hours today. Ran it at 5psi and need to experiment a bit more. I'm used to working at a bright orange-yellow heat and 5psi was giving me a medium-orange heat.

Gas is nice and allows me to be productive by having more steel in the "fire" without fear of burning it up among other things. Then I can work like an assembly line when doing a run of the same item.
It does have a bit of "dragon's breath" when two or three burners are firing. I tried setting it on top of the coal forge with an end pointed at the side-draft chimney and it created its own draft which helped vent a good portion of the hot gases.
Allen

Edited by Grundsau

I had it easy when I tuned my burners....Jay actually did the fine tuning. we kept adjusting in the choke until it would burn smooth at less than a half of a psi. (guage barely moves off the stop)

my choke plate is really close to being closed.....when adjusting it in you might need to adjust the burner jet back out some as it is moving along with the choke plate.

do you have the idle circuit plumbed into your forge?I have some dragons breath from my forge....but not to bad.....but mine is only a single burner forge though.

I haven't really had time to try adjusting more. I did get the forge lined and ITC coating appliled this weekend. I'm hoping to do a little more trial and error on the burner before I try to cure the ITC. Do you guys have any close up pics of your burners? I wanted to see how close the chokes were. I have mine set-up like his instructions at the moment.

Wow! that's a really nice set-up you have there. I'll have to post a pic of mine whe I get it to that point. My choke plate appears to be in about the same place. I really don't anticpate it being a problem to get to right point, I just need the time to do it. I had to put up square bales this weekend for the critters and I'm really allergic hay, so it wipes me out for the rest of the day. I should get to it this weekend for sure.

One other question. Did you put just one coat of ITC? Our home computer died so I don't have Jay's intructions in front of me.

Thanks. The ITC was not applied yet in that photo. I was firing the burners off and on for the wool to take a set.
Btw, I wear a respirator when using the raw wool.

I did one coat of ITC later on but am going to touch-up a few spots that didn't get coated.
Not sure if it needs another application though.

edited to add:

Here is what Jay sent me:
Fire the forge a couple times before coating the refractory with ITC-100. Mix the ITC-100 two parts coating with one part water and mix to a uniform consistency. Before coating the fiber with ITC-100 use a spray bottle to mist the surface of the fiber with clean water. Dip the brush in water and wring it out. Then brush on a thin coating. Apply a second coat if necessary. Coat the entire inside of the forge and any exposed areas. Let the coating dry over night for best results.

If you want all of his instructions I can PM it to you.

Edited by Grundsau