I Forge Iron

Ceramic Fiber Insulation Board Forge

TJH

I have been reading this forum for some time and I think I am now ready to try and build my first forge. I have a sheet of 2600F 1" Ceramic Fiber Insulation Board that I am thinking about building a rectangular forge out of. My question is, do I need to coat the board with rigidizer and a reflective coating. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A thin layer of refractory would help make it a little more durable. It's more durable than ceramic blanket but still needs something to protect it from accidental gouges and such. A reflective coating will also help with getting up to welding heat. 

What do you plan on using for a shell?

Pnut

Without a sheet metal shell around it it's going to be fragile. If you have a piece of sheet metal from a dryer or a stove or whatever so long as it isn't galvanized you could make a box out of it. You also need some way to connect the sleeve that will hold the burner. You could use bricks for the outside of the forge but if you cut pieces of sheet metal the same size as the fiberboard and mitre the edges of the fiberboard at 45 degrees so they fit together and then use the angle iron to hold it all together you should be good to go. You will want to use a castable refractory to protect the walls on the inside from getting knicked up when you put your stock in the forge and a reflective coating to be able to get to welding temperatures. 

Do you have an ammo can? That would work good. A .50 cal ammo can would be a decentforge shell and they're pretty easy to get where I'm at. Harbor freight sells them. 

Pnut