I Forge Iron

Silver Wire Inlay Demo

Looking forward to it Jon, always interested in learning new ways to decorate something, (especially a knife handle). Lorolei used the board we have so I know we have some new markers now. Where do you get the silver wire? Does it come flat, or do you have to do that. Thanks for jumping in there to demonstrate, we will be looking forward to it. This will be a great demo for the hottest month of the year.

Lyle

Joe Keeslar of the ABS recommended using T.B. Hagstoz. I ordered from them and was happy with the service. The wire used is "SS Flat .008 x .005". As the name implies it is flat and needs no refinement. It should be ordered as 'half hard'. Too soft and it will roll over. Too hard and it would not be malleable enough to go into the grooves and difficult to fashion around the curves. You are upsetting it slightly as you hammer it into the grooves. This assures a snug fit. Knife handles aren't the only thing. You can have lots of fun decorating your wooden tool handles and boxes too! I will be doing some 'Pique' work too. Thats like the round wire patterns that you see on the Samuel Bell Bowies. Can't remember the specs for that wire but I will look it up when I get home. Round copper wire looks good too.

T. B. Hagstoz Home Page

Telephone:
800-922-1006 (orders)
215-922-1627
FAX
215-922-7126
Address
709 Sanson Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
General Information: info@hagstoz.com

I'm made a mistake on the wire size. Its actually "SS Flat .008 x .055" but I don see how to edit my posting.

7278.attach

I have silver wire inlay in the stock of the flintlock I posted in the gallery with a tomahawk I made. Gotta look close I guess. I've been doing this in wood and some metal for many years. I have seen some really intricate work with wire on stocks-knife handles & even powder horns, especially at the Friendship, IN. muzzle loading shoots. Your post looks like you have a good start--Nice!!

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my order from Dixie Gun Works. Much better service and faster turn around on shipping. I got my order delivered in 3 days. I am still waiting for my order from T.B. Hagstoz from last week. Also, Dixie Gun Works didn't make me order a minimum of $25 worth of wire and then charge me $12 to ship something that was less than an ounce! In fact, I just realized that I got 2 yards of wire from Dixie Gun Works for what T.B. Hagstoz charged me on shipping!!

Here's the Dixie Gun Works site

This is what I ordered "IP0301 German Silver Flat Wire Inlay - .008""

Thanks for the tip Jerry!

• 5 weeks later...

As I was searching for further answers on this subject I found this tutorial that is very well presented. Silver Inlay Tutorial I also found several places that suggested making home made tools for this out of hacksaw blades or band saw blades.

I would also recommend the sharpening tutorial to anyone who makes or uses wood carving tools. I am great at sharpening just about anything but gouges, the technique of using the metal bar to control the angle is awesome.

Enjoy

• 2 months later...

The tool is easily made. The blade is made from a sharpened piece of a hacksaw blade. The tool that holds the blade is an Xacto knife cut short and fitted in the wooden knob for a handle. I believe the credit for this idea goes to Bill Moran.

http://americanbladesmith.com/Moransilverwireclass04.htm

Jon

Your inlay has got me interested in a new project, however I'm wondering what tool you use to cut the design for the metal to lay into.

Thanks
James
Edited by nikkormat42
to give credit to Bill Moran

I just received my order from Dixie Gun Works. Much better service and faster turn around on shipping. I got my order delivered in 3 days. I am still waiting for my order from T.B. Hagstoz from last week. Also, Dixie Gun Works didn't make me order a minimum of $25 worth of wire and then charge me $12 to ship something that was less than an ounce! In fact, I just realized that I got 2 yards of wire from Dixie Gun Works for what T.B. Hagstoz charged me on shipping!!

Here's the Dixie Gun Works site

This is what I ordered "IP0301 German Silver Flat Wire Inlay - .008""

Thanks for the tip Jerry!

I hope this thread isn't forgotten!
I've read the previous question/answers with a great deal of interest and am now wondering if the German Silver Wire will be similar in rigidity to the 1/2 hard SS? Or will it be too soft?
I would think this thread is now old enough that you have an experienced answer to that question!
Thanks so much for your help.