I Forge Iron

Anvil identification?

Hello, first time post. Can anyone help identify this anvil for me? It weighs 100 pounds, has the number “56” in the heel, and appears to have a hardened steel face.

Any help would be appreciated. Found it on a farm near Pocatello, Idaho. The 70’ish year old seller said his grandfather used it and that it has been in his family for what would be generations.

Thanks in advance—

Paul in South Jordan, Utah

18A8C763-453C-4ACA-A0B0-307D03A9FD9F.png

A2ADFAA6-2D35-4F2A-9AF7-4F2B233577F4.png

A9191742-B192-4E3B-B897-A26AE60B1846.jpeg

WOW that orange one is way overpriced; I generally consider that type of anvil should go for much less than a forged or cast steel anvil!

It was the gap in the foot under the hardy hole, combined with the swell under the hardy hole that may me think of Badger or II&B. The shallow drop from face to cutting plate is also seen in Vulcans as is the pudgy horn.

The first picture seems to show a bit of casting porosity just under the cutting plate plate.

Yes, that orange one is seriously overpriced. Mine was $160 and the kind farmer drove it down from Idaho to Salt Lake City. I cleaned it up some. I’m going to radius the corners where chipped and dress the horn a bit and probably call it good. There are railroad rail ASO’s that cost $160, so I think I did okay. Thanks for the help and the advice.

E10D8A8B-F042-40B1-A0B6-71EDE6C768BB.jpeg

7676F329-24D5-4883-8A04-1F7F5D4B9116.jpeg

Flatliner:  KSL brings out the worst in people. Or maybe it just reflects the community? IDK. People commit then no-show/ no-reply ALL the time, or show up after committing and then start dickering, and the list goes on. I recently drove an hour from South Jordan to Santaquin at 6:30AM to buy a TIG welder and the seller backed out of the sale _after_ I arrived and texted to ask if they were ready for me. Just, wow...

And someone is going to be mad at me, but here’s how it turned out. I was careful to remove minimal steel with a flap disk, but couldn’t see embossing all of my work with flaws from the anvil. I figured it’s better than letting it finish rusting. I hardly touched the face at all. If the horn delaminates, I’ll probably cut it off and go from there.

7F3AEC1E-72E3-4290-9AAB-6BA5EA0E829A.jpeg

AEDDAC8D-CA10-4C35-929C-BAC724EF8A21.jpeg

E0B49E90-3C12-4443-9076-8161102C842A.jpeg

My thinking on dressing the heavily scarred horn was that the horn on this particular anvil is heavy and has more girth than many designs, almost more of a taper than an appendage off the body. It was a gamble and I’m sure I traded some strength for aesthetics. Hopefully not too much, and I promise to report back after the anvil sees some use. Thank you, I do value advice and feedback from experienced craftsmen.