I Forge Iron

Hello from Colorado

twigg

I'm a graduate student in the Boulder area. I play with lasers for a living. I've been interested in blacksmithing for a while, doing my research and dreaming up plans. I hadn't worked up the guts to invest in equipment until last month. 

As of now, I've got:

• a 12" long 55lb hunk of "railroad" track, hardened, with no features yet, mounted up on a hunk of tree trunk and some 6x6's (see photos)
  • a single David Hammer style burner, without a flare (can't forge a tapered flare until I have a forge) that I just finished making, and is ready for testing and adjustment
  • parts for a second burner of the same design
  • a 12.5" diameter x 18" long helium balloon tank that I'll use either for a forge shell or a quench tank (if I made a forge out of it, after insulation, I'm estimating 400-500 cubic inches)
  • parts for a Jeremy Schmidt style 2x72 belt grinder, in the works
  • access to a woodshop and some access to a machine shop

IMG_20190710_200011.jpg.65ac97e980ec93522b31ee77e83b9cf0.jpg

IMG_20190714_150250.jpg.4f510b5cf60e3295ebef35eb861fd19a.jpg

Bonus photo: me using a high-tech "turning tool" on a 1/4" pipe coupler, following David Hammer's burner making instructions (without a belt grinder). 

IMG_20190711_182043.jpg.3686080bd548f723929d7b4e49c98ef5.jpg

P.S. that divot in the railroad track was a failed attempt at drilling a hardy hole, because I forgot that I bought the railroad track already hardened. I broke three cobalt drill bits and emptied two small bottles of cutting fluid before I remembered.