I Forge Iron

Acetylene Bottle Question

This is a quick question for all you Oxy/Fuel welders out there....

I have one of those little portable bottle sets that gets moved around the shop pretty regularly. Some one in the shop(not sure who) moved it somewhere that common sense would've said, 'Don't put this here'. To make a long story short, yesterday, the bottles tipped over with the holder and laid on their side for 5-10 seconds. There's only about 25-50lbs more pressure in the acetylene tank before it needs a refill. Should I just go ahead and trade it out? Is it worth trying to use it after it sits for 24 hours? Thanks for any help.
Mickey

Textbooks I've seen say let acetylene bottles that have been horizontal stand upright for 15 minutes before using themto let the contents settle down. I've moved many bottles horizontally in my pickup from the welding boutique to my shop and used them immediately after the aforementioned 15-minute vertical period. I have seen at least one smith using the bottles horizontally, definitely a bad idea-- something about the acetone getting mixed in with the fuel gas. Fret not-- I do plan to make a rack for carrying them vertically.

I did a search for acetylene and there is a thread on transporting oxy/acetylene. Post #10 answers your question. I tried to link to it but it did not work.

Find the thread you wish to link to, and copy the URL from the top of the page. When writing the text, highlight the words you wish to have hot linked, then click on the world globe with the infinity mark at the top of the text box. Paste the URL into the pop-up box and click ok. Click here is an example that refers to this thread.

The liquid acetone will try to find its level and that can put it near the valve when the cylinder is on it's side. Having the porous material inside of the cylinder doesn't let it slosh back to the bottom when stood upright. The acetone wicks its way back to the bottom. Takes a little while. 15 minutes is a minimum amount of time to let the acetone settle or start it's downward path. Acetone being a solvent should not be allowed to flow through the regulator, hose and torch.