I Forge Iron

Unknown Anvil

Hey all, recently was at some yard sales and picked up what appears to be an old anvil, but I don't know what brand it is or anything about it. I was hoping that you could help me identify it and possibly found out the value of it. Thanks in advance. 

IMG_2230.jpeg

IMG_2231.jpeg

IMG_2232.jpeg

IMG_2229.jpeg

Edited by Mod30
resize large photos

Yup RR rail anvil; not very good for blacksmithing; but handy to have around the home shop for straightening nails and such. There are two sets of numbers commonly found on rail pounds per yard and dates. If that is a date the 1950's is considered pretty recent, I have  William Foster anvil I use that was made in 1828 and a lot of my equipment is over 100 years old. 

If I didn't have anything I might go to US$20 for it; but the horn is fairly useless in that shape.

Why do people remove so much web and so much of the base? Makes a great bell. I have been considering hanging from a tree, the several I have acquired.  Do not stand under my wind chimes!

One can work metal upon it - I could forge on it, but I would be looking for something more substantial pretty quick.

Robert Taylor

Generally it's folks who don't understand how anvils work do it to try to make them "look like an anvil" to sell to other folks who don't know how anvils work.  Like that horn. The horn is designed to make curves off of have a flat one with 90 deg edges negates it's usability for that.