I Forge Iron

New question for the 14" shopcraft band saw

If you have a worn blade that fits it clip it and lay it flat and measure the length. I have a different say and someone stamped the blade length on the side of the saw....Most large cities have a saw shop or two that will make any size you want. If this is a wood saw and you want to cut metal you will have problems...too fast.

If its a 14 inch I am assuming the diameter of each wheel is 14 inches seems to me if you multiply 14 x 3.1416 then measure how far the center shafts are apart from each other and multiply that by 2 then add these two totals together you get the blade length. In other words, 14 x 3.1416 equals half the diameter of both wheels added together. then add the distance between the shafts twice. Put your blade adjustment in the center first. You may could do it with the adjustment all the way down and get a range of what blades would fit.

You should have a certain amount of play utilizing the tensioner. Plus you always have the option many shops go with in making your own blades. Just purchase a spool of blade, then braze/weld the length you need (Also handy if you need to make an inside cut on a piece). You can also check thru the different possible manufacturers listed on OWWM and possibly could find your model + info. OWWM Like most, they were made by multiple manufacturers and rebranded. So might take some searching. -MJ

I found blades through McMaster-Carr. They were $25.00 each though for 70-1/2". In your opinions, would it be cheaper to buy a spool and weld it? Also I use a 110 flux core welder. It is all I really need for welding the steel and Iron I work with. Will this be enough to weld the blades together and not risk cracking at the weld?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...