I Forge Iron

3/4" Burner tuning

Dasher

Hi all from Australia, I'm new to smithing generally, but have years of steel fabrication experience, I have just completed my 1st mini forge, made from a 20lb propane cylinder, it seems to be ok so far, but depending on the advice I get for my main query, it might need some changes. My problem is I can't get a flame of sufficient strength, I can get a good neutral flame only by lowering gas pressure to very, very low, or near closing the gas cock, which suggests to me I am short of air. My burner is a combination of a few different designs I've seen, trying to make use of what I had laying around, I stated with a 3/4"pipe mixer with a 3/4"" to 1"" coupler as a flare, mixer tube is around 8"long, with a slotted socket acting as a choke/ venturi inlet, then a 3/4"" cap with a 1/4" nipple brazed into it projecting the burner tip [mig tip] down the mixer past the venturi. This system was not all that great, I got heat ok, but not fierce heat, and minimal air intake noise, so I changed the venturi system to a 1" Tee, going for more air volume, it improved, but only just, on anything over 5 or 10 psi the flame is full yellow and fluffing or puffing as I call it, the choke is not being used at all, the full 1"" opening of the tee is needed just to get a decent flame at low gas pressure My thoughts now are that I may need to make the 1"tee a 1 1/2" tee, the other thing that I realised too late is I made no allowance for simple tip position adjustments, it is doable but not incremental, and requires different length mig tips or nipple extensions. At the moment the mig tip orifice is almost 1" below the tee, which might be hindering venturi suction, the noise of intake is minimal, and does not effect conversation at all. Thanks for taking the time to read all this, and I appreciate any advise. One other thing that may be relevent is the forge is lined with 3" of ceramic fibre every where except the porch which is 2", and NO rear door, which possibly is pushing pressure back against the venturi and hindering it from drawing.

IMG_20190426_122112.jpg

IMG_20190426_122040.jpg

IMG_20190426_121933.jpg

IMG_20190427_151118.jpg

IMG_20190427_151127.jpg

The forge could benefit from a baffle wall, which is merely an addition. Your burners are your problem; neither one of your attempts are an acceptable design. You need to at least skim over the Burners 101 thread, and get a clue what you are doing.

I have looked through that thread, but I struggled to find detailed info, I will look again, hopefully I'll be able to recognise more detail now I have a bit of  hit and miss practise, I have no issue re doing the whole burner, the only problem is  screwed pipe and fittings are far and wide here . I would kill for my old bsp  tap and die set that my step dad threw out  30 or 40 years ago without asking me

Thanks Mike, I looked through the burner 101 thread, and I think with what I have already, a slightly modified Frosty Tee burner is the simplest modification, if I use a cross piece instead of a Tee, my existing gas plumbing should be ok, saving me the issue of finding 1/4", or 1/8"" pipe and tapping and threading to suit, by the way, would the lack of a rear door possibly induce excess back pressure? The burner modifications might take care of the fluffing of the flame, so I will wait and see, I do intend to open the rear anyway for longer stuff eventually. 

11 hours ago, Dasher said:

Hi all from Australia,

Welcome to IFI...

We won't remember that once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show location. READ THIS FIRST  That thread will help you get the best out of the forum. You might want to look into the OZ Roll Call Thread in Everything Else. Great bunch folks from down under.

Update on burner, thanks to advice from Mikey 98118, I've modified my burner closer to a Frosty T burner spec, some difference in fittings mainly due to what is easily obtainable near me, as it is atm, I have nearly 2" movement for the jet up and down adjustment, once I get some 1/8"" pipe, I can make the gas inlet side less clunky, and still keep 1/2" - 3/4" tuning adjustment, I've added a couple of pics showing the new set up, and also the lit burner, the lit picture doesn't really show the flame colour well, but it has a small 1-1 1/2" blue cone , and is throwing a lick of yellow from the door, I hope someone might be able to tell if the flame looks ok or not, but I think I'm in the ball park now and will play around with it a bit, at least the thing roars loudly now.

IMG_20190430_093054.jpg

IMG_20190430_093000.jpg

There is a 1/4 tube holding the gas burner inside that 1/2" nipple Mikey, but I intend to make it with 1/8", straight into the 1"" cross, not least to make it less clunky,  less likely to be damaged, plus it will lower the COG

Where I'm going with this is that the 1/8" pipe will give better gas flow into the MIG tip. If you use schedule #80  1/8" pipe, then you can run 1/4" MIG tip thread directly  into it, and make a very smooth transition for the gas between pipe and MIG tip. This will increase the power of your burner, and ease construction. If such pipe isn't redillty accessable, 8 to 6mm, or 1/4" brass or steel tube can do an acceptable job too.

edillty ??? Let's try "readily" instead :unsure: