I Forge Iron

Finished(?) My first forge, opinions please

St.patty

In keeping with the other guys who have recently finished theirs, I do believe I'm done. What do yall think? 

This was my attempt at 2 1/2 Frosty Ts spaced evenly through the forge body. It's a "cylinder" that measures roughly 10" deep by 7" diameter. 

Ignore the railroad spike that's just something I was heating up while testing so I didnt feel like I was burning propane for funsies. 

20190219_220048.jpg

20190219_220052.jpg

The flames are fair, but you ain't hardly done. You need to rotate that forge a little  less than ninety degrees, and add a cast refractory floor for those flames to be aimed at the near side of. Otherwise, your wall material isn't going to last very long. Then you need to add a movable brick baffle wall about 1" in front of the forge's opening to raise its temperature.

So would you not recommend putting a fire brick in for the "floor"? That was my plan, and when I get said fire bricks I will be building the wall as well; for now I have a crude lid that I have been using to get the heat up. 

As far as rotating you mean have the burners vertically oriented and on top? I had considered it but was worried about losing too much heat from the burner openings. 

Edit: picture was taken at 4 psi after ~4 minutes of burn time. 

NO to firebrick floors. For very little money you can buy a small bag of Kast-O-lite 30 from Wayne; enough to cast your floor. Hard firebricks are heat sinks (very bad for performance). Kast-O-lite 30 is tough and semi-insulating; much better for performance, and flux resistant too.