I Forge Iron

Anvil help

Black Jack branded anvil.  There's at least one other thread on the site about those...probably more with some searching.  There are some references that say they were actually Hay Budden anvils but someone else would have to confirm that.

Anvils in America page 291 has a Black Jack anvil also stamped J E Pilcher; solid wrought, Black Jack, Warranted, St Louis [bracketed by it's weight in pounds] Postman states: Hay Budden anvil made for Simmons Hardware Co, St Louis, MO

That one looks to have some welding on the edges. And has a classic HB hourglass indentation on the bottom. Many large retailers had house brands that they filled with contracts with various manufacturers; example the infamous ACME anvil beloved? of coyotes was a Sears Roebuck house brand.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I live in Central Texas and my husband traded a little to nothing for It.   I’m just fascinated by it and the history. I think it’s beautiful. LOL 

So, is there anyway to find out who made it and the date it was made? The numbers, do they tell you anything?

My Employer is based in Austin; you have my condolences.   Do the ball bearing bounce test and ring test and if they are both exuberant then you made an exceedingly good deal. If there has been repair that was perhaps not up to spec then you just have a good deal!   Use it in good health!

2 hours ago, Deehill said:

I live in Central Texas

Welcome to IFI... I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST

Because your anvil is stamped U S A it was made sometime after 1918 ( i think that is the year may be 1908) due to import/export rules.

You guys are great! Thank you so much for all the info. Two weeks ago I didn’t even know what it was called. Since then I’ve learned so much and hooked on watching videos. All I can say is, I have the upmost respect for you guys. My husband is a locomotive engineer for BNSF and of course we have track anvils and all but really wasn’t sure what about what they were used for either. Im looking for a ball bearing now and will let y’all know what happens. 

Again, thank you ! 

So do y’all feel it’s a HB ? I don’t believe there’s any welding been done on it. I had my husband look at the lines. He was welder for years and still a side welder. I’m attaching another pic with a better view of the sides.  

Do you know what kind of value it has? 

F1E334B2-1C01-45DE-A1F3-6BCF5D2F5DC1.jpeg

31D25288-5F2B-4102-820D-61B10A2C7EB7.jpeg

FC571AA9-21B6-4F6D-89A3-1EEF94954485.jpeg

0D81D9C9-A0A6-42FE-B0C6-640607D2CEDE.jpeg

I'd say US$3 to $4 a pound depending on the results of the ring and ball bearing test and the condition of the face which I don't recall seeing a picture of. For a real price you need to contact local smiths to see what the local anvil market is like; there is a Central Texas ABANA Affiliate I know. (Balcones Forge Central Texas Blacksmiths http://www.balconesforge.org/ )

As for possible welding the 5th picture down from the start towards the step looks a bit off to my eye.