I Forge Iron

Hi From Western North Carolina.

dana1942

Hi all, I am a newbie here, and pretty much to smithing as well.

Several years back I heated up some files and tried to make knives from them. The equipment I had was nowhere near adequate but was a great learning experience.

Since then I have read a lot, especially on these forms. I have been lurking and finally decided to become a member. I have several railroad tracks that I want to modify into post anvils, and a pile of parts lying around to make a forge or two. I have recently acquired a 71 lb anvil from a junkyard for $22. Would love some help with how to restore it to working condition, I think I will post up some pics if I can find the appropriate area.

Anyhow, I just wanted to introduce myself. And thanks for letting me be a member, I hope to have years of enjoyment and insight, along with a lifetime craft to learn!

Welcome to the insanity.:) There is a section on anvils and improvised anvils that would be appropriate for the anvil. Just remember we love pictures especially if questions are asked. Don't know if you've read this yet, but it will help with getting the best out of the forum (lots of helpful tips). READ THIS FIRST

Best way to restore the anvil is to mount it on a stump and start forging. IF the face has surface heavy surface rust, knock the rust off with a wire wheel, or a bit of sandpaper by hand, then apply hot metal and start forging.  Hot metal will make the face shine like nothing else you can do.

22 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Thanks, And I think I found the section I needed to post in. 

As for reading this, I did! lol I mostly follow rules

18 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Best way to restore the anvil is to mount it on a stump and start forging.  Hot metal will make the face shine like nothing else you can do.

Thanks for the advice, I hope to get too it soon! I have the perfect stump for it!