I Forge Iron

6" x 3/4" sq global challenge

Hello, long time no see.. Maybe you know of the 150mm global challenge to forge something from 6 inches of 3/4 square, or in metric 150mm of 20mm square.

I think its a fun way to realise the craft, apologies if yere already aware somebody might shift this post into the appropriate category if so, ive more info if you need it.

Cheers

Process of challenge.JPG

I love that candle holder, very simple but elegant, already thinking of ways to put my own spin on it. It would be easier to forge out of 300mm of 20x10mm than 150mm of 20mm square though, same material volume just starting stock closer to finished size. Is this allowed under the rules or do you have to use square stock?

Andrew

The rules are that starting stock are as mentioned. I drew the 20mm sq to 320mm of 25 x 8 ish and took it from there. Instagram #herefordanvils or #150mmchallenge. Ambrose Burne has an interview on the blacksmither podcast, its his idea and he talks about it.

6"x3/4" sq. Punched 7/8' hole in center. Drew ends out approximately 18" for total length of 36+". The rest was done with torch and scrolling tongs. Happy New Year to all! Al

Can't get video to load. It shows the piece hanging from a string and rotating. Here's a couple of stills. Al

IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2071.jpg

Edited by Al Stephens
video didn't load

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 6:26 PM, Al Stephens said:

6"x3/4" sq. Punched 7/8' hole in center. Drew ends out approximately 18" for total length of 36+". The rest was done with torch and scrolling tongs. Happy New Year to all! Al

Can't get video to load. It shows the piece hanging from a string and rotating. Here's a couple of stills. Al

IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2071.jpg

That's a good one. You can enter it into the exhibition if you wish by forwarding an image to #herefordanvils via instagram and then post it over to England for the exhibition before March  

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 1:32 AM, VainEnd84 said:

Does the original 6"x3/4" stock have to remain in one piece? Or can it be cut?

You can cut it