I Forge Iron

American Star

I found this little 60 pounder on Etsy from another smith in the state. I have a thing for either small anvils, or gigantic monster ones. I have to get a decent stump for this one yet, my foreman said he might be able to find me a good oak log about 2 feet high. I’m really looking forward to trying this guy out, should be perfect for smaller things like bottle openers and such.

Included in the picture is a hammer from a barn out in Maine I found whilst perusing.

Cheers!

image.thumb.jpg.31dce9733cf072896924bc18a76764b9.jpg

11 hours ago, njanvilman said:

Made in Trenton, NJ from about 1852 to 1868.  They tend to be a bit brittle.  You anvil looks to have lost it horn tip at some point, and it was reground to shape. 

Yeah it was slightly repaired the description said, I wasn’t too worried about it since it wasn’t nearly as gnarled as my 100 Vulcans “horn” lol

13 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Hammer was probably used by a saw tuner.  Cute anvil but I wouldn't let a student with a sledge within 10 feet of it!

Haha, yeah I’m definitely going to have this one for my own personal use. Nothing too crazy just light work and finishing heats