I Forge Iron

Anvil ID

Dear All,

This anvil has been my primary anvil for 30+ years.  IIRC it weighs about 180-200 pounds.  I bought it from an antique store in Leadville, CO in the early to mid 1980s.  It has absolutely no markings unless there is something under the base and I'm not going to dismount it to look.  I'm hoping that someone may be able to offer an identification based on shape and the fact there are no markings.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

all iphone pics including weddings 12.17.16 044.JPG

all iphone pics including weddings 12.17.16 045.JPG

all iphone pics including weddings 12.17.16 047.JPG

Are there flats under those mounting bars?

Can you look up underneath it with it mounted on that stand?  Mirror and flashlight perhaps.  Any indication of a cavity shape, it one exists, would really help

No markings is not indicative as many anvils have had the markings destroyed.  I have a 410# Trenton that has no markings, rust on the front foot and grinding on the side; however it has the classic caplet indentation on the base.

I checked the bottom of the anvil and it is completely flat with an approximately 1 inch by 1.5 inch vertical hole extending up into the middle of the anvil.  I postulate a handling hole.  No markings that I can see or feel on the bottom.  Yes, there is a shelf on the ends of the base for mounting angle irons (see attached photo).  There are what I assume are 2 handling indentations on the sides of the anvil (see 3d photo above) which I have always interpreted as for being where large tongs would attach when the anvil is upside down during manufacturing.

new cell phone pics 11.26.18 071.JPG