I Forge Iron

Dies need for Common Sense Power Hammer #2

Welcome to IFI...

Not knowing where in the world you are located, it's hard to give you a referral about where to get them. Hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show location. It will help in getting the best out of the forum also.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53873-read-this-first/

There is a machinist in my area that makes dies for any power hammer for a very reasonable in cost.

As my profile shows, Carroll County AR in the NW corner of the state.

The machinist that made me a set of dies for my 30 pound Star hammer (its been a while) is about a mile from my house. To be honest I don't know if he is still in business and can't recall his name & the name of his shop. To be honest any machinist worth their salt should be able to mill dies with the dimensions supplied to them. 

Thank you I updated my profile to reflect my location. Where are you located or where is this persons shop

Yes I know any machinist can make them I was wondering if someone manufactured them or have them in stock as it probably might be cheaper then to pay a machinist by the hr to make them

Dies for that machine (or most antique mechanicals) have not been made for 50 or 100 years or more, depending on manufacturer.  Little Giants are the exception, there are JUST enough left around to justify modern production of their dies (dies for LG's will cost more than $500 USD).  Your machine is not a common one, you are looking for a needle in a haystack if replacement dies exist at all.  Make good drawings and pay a local to you machine shop to cut new ones.  

In reality dies for the old mechanical hammers that are held in with keys/wedges are not hard to make. Buy stock that is the right width to fit the hammer & sow block, cut to the proper length then use an angle grinder to make the key slot/dovetail. I made a set out of RR track, took a lot of grinding, checking with calipers and fitting but they work well.