I Forge Iron

first 2x72 sander build

toadboy65

Made this with my son to do larger work with our new gas forge.

sanderr.thumb.jpg.094b54776488195699827678cf37dc07.jpgsanderl.thumb.jpg.c0c835277ab0b4983addd4a3cc2fc00a.jpg

Most of what is here was made from scrap I had on hand.  The wheels were turned on the lathe, and it has a few changes since the images were taken, but it seems to run true

Anyway, helpful suggestions or clever insults requested.

Looks great, but I'm curious about the little shock absorber.  Most of the designs I've seen have that on the "compression" side of the tracking arm.  Yours appears to be on the tension side.  Can they be purchased to work in both directions?

Also, is your motor rated TEFC?  If not the metal dust created will do a number on it.

The little gas cylinder is pushing the tracking arm up. I tried several methods, and this one seems to work.  The tracking arm rotates on the big bolt in the main chassis.  The angle above that on the tracking arm is there to keep the tracking wheel 90 degrees from the drive wheel and the first "working" wheel. It seems to track best that way. Oh, the wheels are stainless steel except for the tracking wheel. About half of the sander is stainless. It is way heavier than it looks.

Great catch the motor. I will stick a filter on the back

The plan for hollow grinding is to replace the backing plate with a centered working wheel, and back the platen off via an adjustment screw. But I have not made that assembly yet. I am sort of thinking about the best radius to build for what I want to do.

Here are new images. The first one better illustrates the pivot point. The second shows the new table, which has yet to have the slot milled, and the bevel fixture I am working on.sander.thumb.jpg.2ab74a5dba438a0f28bab9b22632a49b.jpg

Edited by toadboy65
image problems

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At some point you may want to add an attachment for a 10 or 12 inch "large" wheel, very handy for hollow grinding and some handle work on blades.  Also maybe an attachment for a set of small diameter wheels for those really tight radii grinds.  These 2 by 72 inch grinders can be amazingly flexible in configurations.