I Forge Iron

Post vice clean up

BryanL

Hello All,

Just picked up a 5 inch jaw post vice last weekend that was frozen but all parts there. Got it moving fairly quickly but it's still very stiff and difficult to open and close. Decided tok break it down, strip the flaking paint and make it look nice while getting better movement.

Pic as received and progress on cleanup. One question. The lower pivot bolt is being stubborn about removal. I have never removed one, so am hesitant tok get aggressive on it. Anyone have a thought on It?

Oh! Also I discovered a maker's Mark! I was excited because I have never seen one on a post vice before. Looks like "Original Trenton" maybe...

20181104_130155.jpg

20181111_105539.jpg

20181111_112307.jpg

With the pivot bolt, I've found that sometimes general use has worn a slight a ridge on the bolt that locks things in a bit. I usually try to spin the bolt in the hole with slip joint pliers or a pipe wrench, while tapping with a bronze hammer so the threads aren't damaged. Or just give it a whammo or 2 with a big ball peen if you're going to replace the bolt and nut. One or the other has always done it for me.

Steve